Kian in Korea

Friday, July 14, 2006

The Love Motel


My Motel
Originally uploaded by kian esquire.
I purposefully didn't write about the hotel that I stayed in for the first two weeks I was in Korea because I didn't want to worry anyone. Now, though, it's time for the dark truth to be known.

I was staying at a Love Motel.

First off, they aren't actually motels, they're hotels. This one was new, and actually, quite luxuriously decorated inside and out. It's not the accomodation that's seedy, though, it's the purpose.

Anyone who's lived in Asia can tell you that there's no such thing as privacy, even at home. Korean men and women stay at home until they're married. This presents... shall we say... obstacles to young couples in love. In this atmosphere, a budding entrepreneur decided to cater to this market of people who needed a place to spend a romantic night, and now, Love Motels are absolutely everywhere. I mean everywhere.

Because my parents read this and I'm embarassed, I'm not going to go into much further detail. But let's just say that the hotel offers free rentals of... saucy movies... and there is a vending machine that sells, uh, toys. And your room includes, er, contraceptives, free of charge.

I'm told that while I and most foreigners find this to be extremely gross, for Koreans Love Motels are just a fact of life that everyone takes advantage of sooner or later.

Now you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home