Kian in Korea

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Life gets easier

So a few things are looking up.
One of my main concerns when it came to changing schools was that I felt guilty for leaving my co-teachers and students after they were all so excited for me to arrive. Well, it turns out that not one, but both of my co-teachers are actually leaving at the end of this semester. One's leaving the country and the other is either not going to be an English teacher anymore or is leaving the school, I don't remember. So, I don't have to feel guilty about leaving them anymore- they're leaving me, haha. It's honestly a relief.

I got my resident alien ID card a few days ago, which means I was finally able to get my bank account, which means that today, I actually got paid! Money! It's only a fraction of my regular monthly salary since I started on the 17th, but compared to how little I've spent since getting here, the amount is shockingly large. I have been eating out every night, going everywhere I want and buying everything I please for the last week and a half, and it's not even a third of even this paycheck, which is less than half of what I'll make per month. This is some of the easiest money I've ever saved.

I seriously love some of these kids. There are some that are so cute that I just want to steal them and bring them back to America with me. I never really thought I was a kid-friendly guy, but apparently I have it in me when necessary, or at least when I'm in a position of authority! Today I gave one 6th-grade class English names. By the end of class I already remembered most of their names, unlike the two Korean names I learned in the ten days that I've been here. On Friday I have the rest of the 6th-graders and they too will get fantastic English names like Charlie, Spencer, Sheila, and Gloria.

I got a haircut today, too. I was concerned that I was doomed to bad hair because what do Korean people know about cutting thick, wiry, Persian hair? I was wrong! There's an Aveda salon right by my hotel (I move into my apartment in a few days, by the way), and I am definitely going there every time I need a haircut from now on. It only cost twenty dollars. And, either because I'm a foreigner or because I'm a "handsome boy," or both, I also got free aromatherapy and a head and shoulder massage. And in South Korea, you aren't supposed to tip. They don't even accept tips.

The only rough patch today was teaching my adult class. Two hours a week I am supposed to teach a class for the other teachers at the school. However, for some reason, the other teachers are afraid of me or of English, so only seven teachers showed up. Well, one of them left in the beginning when she found out I'd be giving a "level test", which means that I had them write one paragraph about themselves so I could get an impression of what level their English was at. I think they are afraid of showing that they are bad at something, to somebody who is as young as I am. What they don't know is that I'm dead nervous myself, because some of these people have been teachers for longer than I've been alive, and I don't want them to think that I'm a bad teacher. It's nuts. But, now that the hard part is over, I can start preparing lessons and having fun with everyone.

I miss friends and family and food from home, but I'm getting adjusted to stuff here. I figure I can afford to have a wholesale rejection of Korea once a week and go to a McDonalds or Pizza Hut, and then feel better about myself.

5 Comments:

  • Yes Kian you are definately a 'handsome boy', interesting read so far. Have a ball in Korea, keep up the great work!

    By Anonymous Scott, at 9:38 AM  

  • hey kian....its michelle from c & w...its my last day at work today...boohoo...hahaha...can't believe your in the land of the morning calm...that's korea by the way....my motherland...hahaha...laya sent us your blog...myspace me sometime alright...take care...& whatever you do do...don't go eat the live octopus thing...im korean & i don't take such risks....bye!!!

    By Blogger michelle-y, at 10:05 AM  

  • You want to buy something really expensive? Get my magazine for me!!! I knew you would try and get out of it!!!

    g

    By Anonymous Golmar, at 12:56 PM  

  • it must be so hard to be born so handsome. life's tough. i miss you gbf!

    annie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:43 PM  

  • And finally I write! I am glad you found Aveda! I miss you! Ummmmm... I'm buying a new computer finally! It's a MacBook Pro. Yay! Ok... off to the tub for a hot soak!

    -Robby J

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home